Registering for a Permit
All students bringing a vehicle to campus must register for a permit. To register a vehicle you will need the following information:
- Vehicle year
- Vehicle make/model (e.g., Subaru WRX)
- Vehicle color
- License plate number and state
- Insurance provider name
- Vehicle owner information (name, street address, and phone number)
You will receive an e-mail confirmation of your registration and will be mailed a permit to the address of your choice. You will also receive a two week temporary permit while the permit is en route. UNC-Asheville does not replace permits mailed to the wrong address.
- $40 for motorcycles over 50cc (not prorated or returnable)
- $40 for Mopeds under 50cc (not prorated or returnable)
Permit fees are paid through our online vendor via credit card. If you have an payment issue, contact us immediately as we can only address transactions within 3 business days.
Student lots are separated into three primary categories:
- Resident (R)
- Non-Resident (NR) or Pharmacy (P)
- Freshman (F)
You can explore parking locations using the Interactive Campus Map.
- All Permit lots: anyone with a valid decal or permit can access; Faculty/Staff, Visitors, Students, and OLLI members.
- Resident students must park in Resident or “All Permit” lots at all times, even after hours and weekends. Why? Residential spaces are reserved for students living on campus at all times. Residential students parking in other spaces is akin to parking in two spaces.
- Non-Resident, OLLI, & Pharmacy Students may park in any non-resident or all permit lots. They may also park in Faculty/Staff lots from 5pm – 7:00am Monday through Friday, on weekends, and official holidays. Note: Parking is enforced when class is not in session!
- First-Year or “Freshman” are required to park the in All Permit parking lots located at 118 W.T. Weaver (P29 & P31) or the All Permit lots P1, P2, & P3. Freshman are not allowed to park in the Ridges Deck, Founder Drive or any other lot. Permitted freshman parking illegally carry an additional financial penalty and may have their parking privileges revoked.
Vehicle in the shop? Driving another car because of bad weather? You can pick up a temporary parking permit at Weizenblatt Hall 24/7 free of charge.
After the conclusion of Spring classes, registered summer students are eligible to purchase a summer permit for non-resident spaces for a reduced fee of $20. Permits purchased earlier in the year are valid until the start of fall classes and a summer permit does not need to be purchased.
Resident students living off campus for the summer can bring in their Resident decal to be exchanged for a Non-Resident decal at no cost