Policies and Procedures

Undergraduate students are not allowed to operate a Motor Fleet Management vehicle. No exceptions. We have limited UNCA owned vehicles for student-employee drivers if the driving assignment corresponds with an employment-related task.

About Motor Pool

Motor Pool is a shared resource coordinated by Transportation Services that manages the use of state vehicles assigned to UNC Asheville by North Carolina Motor Fleet Management (a division of the North Carolina Department of Administration). Motor pool currently oversees the scheduling, maintenance, and use of fifteen vehicles including an all-electric Nissan LEAF, two SUVs, one sedan, and five minivans. Motor Pool does not release any shuttle vehicles.

The rates changes are as follows:
  • Minivans: $0.48 per mile
  • Sedan: $0.48 per mile
  • Mid-Sized SUVs: $0.48 per mile (Dodge Journey and Ford Explorer)
  • 100% Electric Nissan LEAF: $0.48 per mile

User cannot have any outstanding transportation invoices. Vehicle reservations subject to cancellation at any time.

Pick up (and return) keys and vehicle binders at Weizenblatt Hall. Minivans, SUVs, truck, and the Sedan are parked next to the Sam Millar Complex. The LEAF is parked next to Weizenblatt Hall.

Reservation Process

All vehicle reservations must be made online using the Request a Motor Pool menu link one week before departing with the vehicle. Reservations are on a first come, first served basis (determined by submission of the online form only). Motor Pool reservations cannot be made via telephone. Sometimes we can accommodate short-notification requests but will still require a completed online request. Because our system is first come, first served, you must use the online reservation form. Requests with complete information will be given priority over incomplete or pending reservations.

Although there are no special requirements to use a motor fleet vehicle for travel in the continental U.S., trips to Canada or Mexico require at least 30 days advance notice to NC Motor Fleet Management to secure proper automotive insurance.

You will be asked to supply the following information for a reservation:

  • Date and Time of Departure/Return
  • Destination
  • Number of travelers
  • Driver’s name and contact information
  • Driver’s license number
  • Verification of employment
  • Fund number to be charged
  • Authorization to travel (if necessary)

You will receive an email from Motor Fleet services with instructions and your trip details when your reservation is confirmed.

Driver Eligibility

All drivers must meet NC Motor Fleet Regulations, which include:

  • A valid driver’s license:
    • with fewer than 6 points
    • DMV must not have designated to be “Ineligible Permanently to Drive a School Bus”
  • Be a current North Carolina state employee (volunteers are not eligible)
  • Have a copy of their driver’s license on file with Transportation Services

Student-employees may NOT drive Motor Fleet vehicles for relevant state business purposes. No exceptions or waiver.

The Transportation Office strongly discourages rental of a 15 passenger for University purposes. This is due to a well-known risk for a fatality in the event of a crash. Transport of some passengers may be considered illegal in some jurisdictions.

Vehicle Types & Cost

Vehicle TypeCapacityCost per Mile
Minivan1 driver + 6 passengers$0.48/mile
Sedan/Leaf1 driver + 4 passengers$0.48/mile
Mid-Sized SUV1 driver + 4 passengers$0.48/mile

Picking Up a Vehicle

Only the listed driver can pick up the trip packet (keys, fuel card, mileage log, etc) for a reserved vehicle from the Weizenblatt Hall 24/7/365. Vehicles are located next to the Sam Millar Complex. The Transportation Office hours are from 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday-Friday. We are closed on weekends. Motor fleet regulations prevent vehicles from being issued during adverse weather conditions, such as accumulated snow, sleet, or ice on roadways.


Parking is available at the Millar Facilities Complex for the individual driving the reserved vehicle. Drivers should park in the marked motor pool spaces vacated by vehicle being checked out. The LEAF is located near Weizenblatt, no additional parking is available at this location. Parking is not available for passengers!

Visitor and 30-minute parking spaces are subject to parking enforcement. Do not park in these spaces for the duration of your reservation.

What is a Trip Packet?

Trip packets have 4 parts:

  1. Reservation Confirmation: The reservation confirmation lists the details of your travel request as submitted on the reservation form and should be checked for accuracy and signed when received at the time of pick-up.
  2. Travel Log: The travel log should be completed whenever a Motor Pool Vehicle is used.  The documentation is essential for compliance with state regulations and for billing purposes; failure to complete the travel log will result in a $10 Incomplete paperwork fee added to the reservation cost.
  3. Key Packet: The key packet lists the vehicle number, which is stenciled on the windshield of the vehicle, the license plate number, and Wright Express Gas Card ID number assigned for your vehicle. For instructions on how to use the Wright Express Gas Card, please see the Fueling Procedures section under the Use of Motor Pool Vehicles heading below.
  4. Other Documentation: Other documentation includes rules for use of Motor Pool vehicles, instructions on how to fuel the vehicle, accident procedures, emergency contact numbers, and other relevant documentation that may be needed.

Use of Motor Pool Vehicles

All UNC Asheville and NC Motor Fleet Management vehicles are to be used in accordance with the NC Motor Fleet Management Regulations, including:

  • Undergraduate students are NOT allowed to operate a motor fleet management vehicle. Student-employees may drive specific university-owned vehicles IF the task is directly linked to their employment duties. For example, a Campus Recreation student-employee may drive for a Campus Recreation sponsored ski-trip but the same Campus Recreation student-employee may not drive for an Environmental Sciences field-trip. 
  • It is unlawful to use a state-owned vehicle for any private purpose.
  • The driver must observe all state motor vehicle laws and ordinances.
  • Under no circumstances should you operate a vehicle while under the influence of intoxicating beverages, drugs, or substances. Do not transport these items.
  • Parking or speeding citations and tolls are the responsibility of the assigned driver.
  • No smoking is allowed in any vehicle.
  • Hitchhikers are not allowed to ride in any state-owned vehicle.
  • Family pets are not permitted in state-owned vehicles.
  • Employees may not use a state-owned vehicle for obtaining meals unless they are in an approved travel status.
  • Individuals who are not employed by the state are not allowed to drive state-owned vehicles.

Please take a moment to clean out the vehicle when you return it. Be sure to check for any personal items you may have left behind.

Fueling Procedures

All Motor Pool vehicles come equipped with Wright Express Cards. These cards can be used at most commercial establishments. State vehicles should be fueled with unleaded regular gas only, with one exception: vehicles designated as Alternative Fuel Vehicles (has an AFV sticker on one of the vehicle windows) can be fueled with E-85, when available. Fuel cards are unavailable for the Sprinter Van.

How to use the Wright Express Card:

Please use a Pay-at-Pump gas pump. You may not pre-pay for gas with the card. Fuel Card will not work for the Sprinter Shuttle.

Do not use a card for any vehicle except the one which it is assigned.

  1. Swipe the card. The card is neither credit nor debit, so do not choose either option. The terminal should proceed to the next step without an additional input.
  2. You will be prompted to enter two different numbers, and they may be requested in any order:
    • An Identification Number. Parking and Transportation Services has provided the exact ID number for your vehicle/card on the Key Packet with your travel materials. Do not press Enter unless prompted, it should automatically proceed.
    • The current odometer reading. Press Enter if needed.

You may then proceed to fuel the vehicle as normal. Receipts should be returned to the Trip Packet with the gas card.

Vehicle Accidents

All crashes, accidents, and/or vehicle damage must be reported to Motor Fleet Management, regardless of amount of damage. If the accident involves another vehicle, information that should be obtained from the other driver involved includes: Name, address, telephone number, license plate number, insurance company & policy number.

All accidents involving injury or damage to a state vehicle must be reported to Travelers Insurance Company as promptly as possible by calling 1.800.238.6225.

Upon return, Transportation Services will help complete the necessary paperwork including the FM-16 form to be forwarded to Motor Fleet Management.

Nissan LEAF

  • The LEAF will only be released to trips approved for EV use. (Sorry, no off-road use or fording rivers!)
  • Tesla Charging Stations are not compatible with the Nissan LEAF without an adapter. We are unable to support the use of Tesla stations at this time.

Returning a Vehicle

Please take a moment to clean out the vehicle when you return it. Be sure to check for any personal items you may have left behind. Return Keys and Binders to Weizenblatt Hall. You can return the LEAF to Weizenblatt Hall. The Nissan LEAF can be re-connected to a charger upon return to campus if possible (located in P12).  

Late & Cleaning Fines

Transportation Services imposes a fine for vehicles returned late or improperly. Fines up to $100 (each) or the exact charge needed to send a vehicle out for cleaning are also imposed for vehicles returned in poor condition. This includes:

  • Vehicles returned without the vehicle binder, fuel card and/or keys to Weizenblatt Hall: $20 each
  • Vehicles with keys/binder locked in vehicle: $10
  • Vehicles not returned to Motor Pool Lot: $50
  • If you abandon a broken vehicle without contacting Motor Fleet Management (1.800.277.8181) we will charge you the cost of retrieval on top of a $50 fee

Fines for dirty vehicles begin at $20 and reflects the actual cost of cleaning a vehicles. We ask you (and your passengers) not to eat in our vehicles. Food/Pet allergies can pose a risk to other users.